Is my computer safe enough if I use just iptables?

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Fri Oct 15 13:29:58 UTC 2004

Simply put *NO* you are not safe enough. At the very least I would run a
personal proxy (such as privoxy).

A bit more paranoid... Turn off java and javascript. Prompt for all
cookies and then only allow them to be session cookies.

Even more paranoid... Setup your iptables to DROP by default INPUT and
OUTPUT. Log the OUTPUT attempts and decide what should be passed (That
way any "funny business" is less likely to happen).

This won't make you "totally" secure but you'll be a few steps ahead of
most curves.

HTH,
Harry