FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Ken Johanson fedora at kensystem.com
Fri Oct 15 15:24:25 UTC 2004

Thanks Jakub, its good to hear a Redhat employee offering help. You also
avoided being inflammatory, showing tremendous constraint -- I admire that.

I truly appreciate the module build advise - it benefits all of us.
Thank you.

In regard to original my complaint (ignoring its cause; module
compilation and default header paths), can you explain Redhat's
reasoning for not including the kernel source *in* the distro? -- just
for the sake of argument for someone wanting to do the usual.. slim down
the kernel, or say, build special scsi drivers into the image. etc.

Yet you did also mention that kernel rpm *is* available; is that
included on the main install disks - or would a user have to have
network access, search for it, and check versions (which supposedly dont
always jive from what another post mentioned about 2.6.9 inclusions)? Is
the kernel-rpm placed somewhere on the add-remove app that I just didnt
see (I checked under "development tools")?

Thanks for responding,
-Ken