FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Oct 15 17:24:13 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Does anyone have a one-paragraph explanation of why this choice was
> made? I usually don't install the kernel-sourcecode RPM (née kernel-
> source) since I don't want an additional 100-200MB of stuff on my disk
> if I can avoid it.

It's not shipped for much the same reason that you don't usually want it; it's
not needed for most people and it's duplicating information available in the SRPM:

See Arjan's brief explanation:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-September/msg00923.html

> But every so often, I have to install VMWare or some other software that
> wants the kernel source to be installed. "up2date kernel-sourcecode" has
> been a fantastically easy way to do that without have to learn arcana.

This may be more complicated for a while. When they update to use the new
build system, it'll work just like before except you won't need to install the
huge kernel source RPM. This is a big win long-term.

Paul.