FC2 install on PC w/ Seagate ST3160023AS drive

paul.paden at juno.com paul.paden at juno.com
Fri Oct 15 19:33:58 UTC 2004

Hi all.  I am a newbie here.  Begin trying to install last night, and  would really appreciate some help, please.  Just bought a new Dell Dimension 8400 PC:  Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz, 1 Gb Ram, 160 Gb hard drive.  The hard drive is a Seagate ST3160023AS SATA 7200 RPM drive; its controller is Dell's integrated one (whatever that is).  Have made & tested the integrity of the 5 Fedora Core 2 CDs (4 install + 1 rescue).  When attempting to install, anaconda selects the "Intel PIIX/ICH ATA controllers (ata_piix)" for the hard disk controller.  However, the install aborts right after the hardward probe gets past the video and monitor detections and gets to the hard disk.  I've tried the Intel drivers and one of the SATA drivers but no success.  What do I need to do to continue with the install?  Is there a driver to obtain from somewhere (Red Hat / Seagate / other) ?  Thanks.

Paul
paul.paden at juno.com