OT: Help with currupted mpeg video.

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Oct 15 22:18:38 UTC 2004

Scott Talbot wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 16:05 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of a util which can copy a mpeg file from a scratched
>>CD?
>>
>>I've tried copying it but it kept having errors at ~90% of the file.
>>
>>Upon playback ( the 90%) there's a lot of static/blocky pictures etc..
>>
>>Can mencoder or something fix it?
>>

> 	The best way I've found is to repair the CD as much as possible.  There
> are available, plastic polishes that when used carefully can restore CDs
> if the scratches are superficial.
>
> 	Since you are able to read the CD, perhaps your scratches aren't too
> bad?

"The Screensavers" recommend using toothpaste (ie, a mild abrasive) with
a paper towel or cloth to clean the CD scratches.  They tell you to
always rub *radially*, from the center to the edge and vice versa.
You're trying to polish away the scratches so that the laser can read
the data again.  You're *not* trying to remove the plastic covering over
the media holding the data!  Never polish in circles, or parallel to the
edges....only in and out from the edge to the center.  Never use
chemical cleaners as they may weaken/damage the plastic covering....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net