FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 15 23:38:08 UTC 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 14:27, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 12:00 -0600, Ken Johanson wrote:
>> But my cage rattling is about "Why is the kernel source not
>> included", not lack or headers. If I could have just rpm/bzipped
>> the source from one of the discs we wouldnt even be here right
>> now.
>
>I've been attempting to read up on and understand this issue since
> the flamewar started. Am I correct in thinking that the kernel
> source code can now be found in one of the SRPM packages? If so,
> then it's still on the disks, right? So Red Hat *does* distribute
> them?
>
>Note: I am aware that the SRPMS disks are a different set, and that
>someone would then have to download the binary ISO images plus
> either the kernel SRPMS independently or the SRPMS ISO images as
> well. However, it sounds like a more-consistent approach since all
> source code is found in SRPMS rather than in binary RPM packages.
>
>What, if anything, am I missing?

When the 'category' is broken up like that, then the kernel includes,
often required to build other stuff that comes under the
'development' label, is off someplace on a different src iso that is
a 2-3 hour download away on dsl, and a day or more away for someone
on dialup.

IMO, of ALL the stuff that would be included in the 'devel' category,
it seems the kernel srcs are at least as important as anything else.
And putting ALL the devel stuff over on the SRPMS iso's is only
running up the cost, particularly for those on the other side of the
pond who pay for even local dialup by the minute.  This stuff belongs
in the dvd iso (theres plenty of room as its composed now), and as
usual, on disk 2 of the binary CD's like it has been since the iso's
became generally available.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)