any solution for romote login

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Sat Oct 16 03:57:33 UTC 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 11:23 pm, Bao Cao wrote:
> I need logon my machine at home from work, I tried to
> find how to do so, but it seems I still don't get the
> point. Could anybody please show me any general
> solution for this?

Hello Cao,

There is a lot to consider here. First, let say you will set up an SSH Daemon
in your home. Things you need to check in order to successfully connect to
your home machine:

1> sshd is running fine...
2> you don't hae a firewall running on your machine or in any other device in
front of it. If so, make sure you allow incoming packets to destination-port
22.
3> Do you have an external fixed ip address (which I doubt)? Probaby your ISP
will change your ip a couple of times a day...you'll need to set up a daemon
which will track your ip and register it on a DNS (check gogle for dynamic
dns...www.no-ip.com etc...)
4> Make sure you that you can go out in your office (to port 22 on your
machine). If your office has a firewall it may block outside connections.
There may be a web proxy in your work and thust the firewall only allows the
proxy to go outside...not the internal pc's..

There may be way more things to consider..I know the other guys will point
them out...

HTH,
Jorge.