Moving out Mac

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sat Oct 16 15:15:58 UTC 2004

Roy W. Erickson wrote:

> I got it because I'm tired when I get home after a long day of
> sysadmin-ing Suns, SGI, RH, W2K, switches, firewalls, etc etc etc also
> teaching Math.

Hi Roy!

Ah -- another mathematics instructor. You've got company for both FC and
Max OS X. Welcome to the list!

> So I'm thinking that the Mac might be the way to go. At least the 25 Mac
> users at my job think so.

I agree with them (for laptop use). I have the 12" iBook and power use
is awesome, the keyboard is comfortable and it's light and small.

> What I want to do when I get home....
> -------------------
> I want to publish my math notes to the web and eventually through a
> publisher. So I need math formula capable s/w to help me do that. I'm
> still not satisfied with the basic stuff I see in OOffice.

What you need for the job is LaTeX and for your PB you need TeXShop or
Enhanced Carbon Emacs that will do the typesetting for you. I have all
of the above and use it for my math work -- there is simply no
comparison to LaTeX in the "word processing" world of Word or
OpenOffice!  I rarely use OpenOffice anymore. Two very enthusiastic
thumbs-up! If you need help or links with any of that for your PB, feel
free to email me off the Fedora list -- I'll be happy to help you with
it. There is about a one- to two-week learning period with LaTeX, and
after that, you'll never want to go back to using anything but LaTeX for
your mathematics documents or slides.

> I am also in need of moving my book project to a Framemaker (old name)
> like publisher's s/w.
>
> I want to author a web site, publish music in Logic-like s/w, let my
> son's play games and watch dvds...
> ------------------
> I know fedora can do all of this. The question is how much set-up work
> will it take?
>
> Q: Should I choose to toss the powerbook back, what would be a good
> proven fedora capable laptop that is well supported in the drivers
> department?

Use the PB and set up X11 and then install Fink -- You'll have all the
Open Source goodies at your fingertips with a very nice apt-get tool.

> Q: Anyone have a similar dilema regarding these types of trade-offs?
> If so what are your thoughts?

Oh yeah -- ultimately I decided on FC (and a box with Libranet-installed
Debian) for my desktops, and a 12" iBook with TeXShop, emacs, Fink and
Fink Commander (the gui for Fink) for the portable work (and watching
DVDs on trips ;-)

Hope this helps,
Clint Harshaw