Camera and USB stick together

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Sat Oct 16 15:48:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 12:14 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> Selon Jim Christiansen <christiansen_j at hotmail.com>:
>
> > Hi Pasha,  Thank you.  But how do the entrys in /etc/updfstab.conf.default
> > correlate with sda1 or sdb1 assignments.  I think that what happens is if
> > the stick was set in fstab to /dev/sda1, then removed and the camera was the
> > only thing plugged in, the camera becomes sda1, not the stick and things get
> > wonky.
>
> Don't write anything to your fstab file about /dev/sda1...sdb1 ... Don't create
> any /mnt/memstick or whatever related to these sticks or camera: updfstab will
> do the job if there are corresponding entries in /etc/updfstab.conf.default

This is, i believe, the reason that udev, (and devfs before it) was
created.  Updfstab cannot guarantee which device will be assigned to
sda1,sda2,sdb5 or whatever.

Your best bet to create an environment where you can reliably use any
device plugged in to your system is to use one of these (and I'd put my
money on udev as it will be standard in FC3 as of Nov 1, when it will be
released.

You could (if you want to do the work) download the devfs packages, and
roll your own, but since it is deprecated, udev is somewhat preferable.

HTH

Scott