FLAME____ Why is the kernel source not included

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Oct 16 16:21:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 08:47:25AM -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> Talking about irrational things, why the hell would I need to install
> qt-devel and gtk+-devel to get kernel-source installed in FC2?

Because of the GUI configuration tools in the kernel source which require
those toolkits. One of the flaws in RPM is that it's hard to make a
distinction between "would be nice to have" and "needs to have to work at
all". (And not without reason -- adding such a distinction gets you into
exactly the quagmire that is this thread, as everyone has different ideas
about what is absolutely vital.)