music player titles

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 16 23:39:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 06:29:16AM -0500, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 21:45, charles f. zeitler wrote:
> > does anyone know how to change
> > the title of discs as displayed
> > in music player?

We need to be clear which music player is involved.
There can be multiple ones.

>    Well, that should be pretty automatic....do these songs have tags
> on'em?  Are they .oggs or .mpe3?

Most music CDs will have info encoded in the CD itself.
So yes automagic.

And on the gnome desktop "CD Player" (Exec=gnome-cd; /usr/bin/gnome-cd)
can keep edits to the titles in $HOME/.cddbslave.   There is an
icon on gnome-cd to edit the local names.

Grip can contact freedb.freedb.org or perhaps us.freedb.org for song
title information.  It can also keep a local file of information in
$HOME/.cddb See also http://musicbrainz.org, http://purl.org/ and
others.

Other tools like rhythmbox have their own config files and may hook up
with other tools like sound-juicer.  For rhythmbox look at the obvious
dot file locations
    $HOME/.gnome2/rhythmbox
    $HOME/.gnome2/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml
    $HOME/.gnome2/rhythmbox/playlists.xml

I often look for config files by changing some property thing and
doing a "ls -altr" to see if something new was touched.

With a configurable gui interface and the precise name of an application
can be hard to name.   It is useful to look at the output of "xprop"
and or the help/info  button on the tool bar.

Media Player (xmms) has a button (I) that lets you view and in some
cases edit the info encoded in the file.

Ogg Vorbis files contain info that can be displayed with "ogginfo".
The tool "vorbiscomment" will let you edit that info.

Equivalent tools exists for other file formats.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy