Moving out Mac

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 16 23:50:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 06:24:37PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Patrick McSwiggen wrote:
> > On Oct 15, 2004, at 8:48 PM, Roy W. Erickson wrote:
> > > What I want to do when I get home....
> > > -------------------
> > > I want to publish my math notes to the web and eventually through a
> > > publisher. So I need math formula capable s/w to help me do that. I'm
> > > still not satisfied with the basic stuff I see in OOffice.
> >
> > If you want to publish math (that doesn't look like cr** the way
> > anything produced by M$ products does) you need to use TeX. If you are
> > not familiar with it, TeX is a markup language like HTML. E.g., the
> > fraction n/2 would be \frac{n}{2}. Unfortunately, I don't know of any
> > friendly interfaces on the Mac or linux. Scientific Word for windows
>
> Check out Kile and Lyx for GUI frontends for LaTeX.

There is the obvious put "math on the web".

   http://www.ams.org/mathweb/
   http://www.ams.org/tex/

And the less obvious issue of rendering math on the web.

   http://lfw.org/math/

  "The aim is to help the scientific community communicate their ideas
  easily, and this implementation shows that it's possible even
  without any support from browser software. You can insert
  mathematical expressions directly into your HTML and have them
  displayed like the image here, which is an example of the output
  from the prototype renderer."

There is more... but the above will keep your fingers busy.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy