Dual boot strategy

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Mon Oct 18 03:49:02 UTC 2004

If you can spare the $65 or so for a 40 GB drive I set up windows on a
separate drive with the Fedora drive unplugged.  That way windows thinks
it's the only operating system in the world.  Then I put this into my
/etc/grub.conf

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.521)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.521.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
title win98
	map (hd0) (hd1)
	map (hd1) (hd0)
	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
	chainloader +1

If windows got a report card it would say "Dose not play well with
others, and needs help in social skills"

Tim...