(Similar Problem)Re: Port forwarding and ssh

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Oct 18 05:36:59 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 16:25, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 15:16, Bao Cao wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a similar problem, I can't ssh to the machine
> > at home, which is FC2, from work. The answer I got is
> > the host is unreachable. But I can ssh to the home
> > machine internally, I mean, by "ssh 1.2.3.4", I can
> > access to it, just a trick try. Can anybody help me
> > how to ssh to the home machine from work(outside)?
> > Thanks.
> > Sorry for not contributing any to the original
> > question. :-(
>
>     This is (until I hear to the contrary) a problem of NAT, and the
> understanding of TCP/IP.  We toss around IP addresses like they're all

Good info.

If you have port forwarding setup correctly, iptables configured to
permit port 22, and have ssh enabled and running the problem is most
likely that your work is blocking outbound port 22/ ssh protocol.  A lot
of companies do this since you can tunnel pretty much anything through
ssh.  Companies do this since it can present a security issue by letting
just anything exit their firewall.  They may have a proxy service that
can be used for sanctioned applications.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You know how to win a victory, Hannibal, but not how to use it.
		-- Maharbal