Booting FC2 from hard disk w/RedHat 8

Mon Oct 18 15:03:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 06:45 -0700, Burnie West wrote:
> I am running Red Hat 8.0; downloaded the four FC2 iso's into one of
> several available
> partitions.  Haven't yet been able to find instructions I can follow to
> boot FC2 from
> there.
>
> Any pointers? Links?

Loopback mount the first ISO image:

# mount -r0 loop <path>/FC2-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/cdrom

Copy kernel and initrd to /boot:

# cp /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-FC2
# cp /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/initrd.img /boot/initrd-FC2.img

Add the something like the following to /boot/grub/grub.conf:

title Fedora 2 Install
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-FC2 noapic pci=noacpi ramdisk_size=8192
        initrd /initrd-FC2.img

The root device spec above assumes /boot is the first partition on the
first drive - YMMV.

Reboot and choose "Fedora 2 Install" and "hard disk" install, specifying
the path to the ISO image directory on the device you saved them to.
Note that you cannot use the partition with the ISOs for the
install/upgrade.  Recommend a fresh install on separate partition[s] or
a new disk, keeping the RH8 installation for a dual-boot fallback, and
as a source for configuration and user information.  Would also
save/backup /home even if on a separate partition and start fresh on
home directories.  A lot has changed in the user config files.

Phil