iptables problem...

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Oct 18 21:48:32 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 18.10.2004 schrieb Linn Kubler um 23:23:

> Installed and running FC2 in Virtual PC 2004.  Now I'm trying to
> configure iptables and when I type 'iptables -L' at the command prompt
> I get this error message:
>
> iptables v1.2.9: can't initialize iptables table 'filter' : iptables
> who? (do you need to insmod?)
> perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> I've run up2date so I would think iptables and the kernel are updated,
> right?  Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?  What is
> insmod?

> Linn

rpm -q iptables
  --> to see it is really installed

Don't use insmod, if you think you need to manually load kernel modules,
then use modprobe. But this is not needed if you use the iptables
service.

Run "service iptables restart". If you did not already manually change
the /etc/sysconfig/iptables configuration file and made faults, it will
(re)start the service.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 23:46:04 up 4 days, 18:57, load average: 0.31, 0.29, 0.26