iptables problem...

Linn Kubler lkubler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 22:07:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:48:32 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> Am Mo, den 18.10.2004 schrieb Linn Kubler um 23:23:
>

> > Installed and running FC2 in Virtual PC 2004.  Now I'm trying to
> > configure iptables and when I type 'iptables -L' at the command prompt
> > I get this error message:
> >
> > iptables v1.2.9: can't initialize iptables table 'filter' : iptables
> > who? (do you need to insmod?)
> > perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> >
> > I've run up2date so I would think iptables and the kernel are updated,
> > right?  Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?  What is
> > insmod?
>
> > Linn
>
> rpm -q iptables
>   --> to see it is really installed
>
> Don't use insmod, if you think you need to manually load kernel modules,
> then use modprobe. But this is not needed if you use the iptables
> service.
>
> Run "service iptables restart". If you did not already manually change
> the /etc/sysconfig/iptables configuration file and made faults, it will
> (re)start the service.

Ok, rpm -q iptables returns:
iptables-1.2.9-2.3.1

When I run "service iptables restart" I get this response:
Applying iptables firewall rules: iptables-restore v1.2.9:
iptables-restore: unable to initializetable 'filter'

Error occrred at line:3
Try 'iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.

I have not modified the iptables configuration file and upon looking
at /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config  everything is commented out.
Looking at /etc/sysconfig/iptables I see that the first two lines are
comments and the third line reads: *filter.  Is the asterix causing
the problem?

Thanks for prompt response,
Linn