initrd, nash and encrypted hda

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 18 23:22:43 UTC 2004

fedora-list wrote:
> i am trying to encrypt my hard disk with fc3 test3, device-mapper and
> dm-crypt.

Good luck!

You're not really on the right list: a *lot* of this has changed for
FC3.

> i found out that this task is much more difficult than i toughed... so
> if i may ask some questions?
>
> 1.) whats the difference between
>       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.541 rw root=LABEL=/
>     and
>       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.541 rw root=/dev/ram0
> in grub.conf. What is this LABEL-thing for? Where is defined /=>hda3?

ext3 filesystems can have a label which describes the filesystem. It
sounds as though your hda3 is labelled /. The userspace mount program
can use this to identify a filesystem, rather than the name of the
device it's sitting on.

This is becoming more important: there are more situations these days
when the name of the device will change. Fedora installs will
automatically label filesystems they create.

Note that if you use LABEL in grub.conf, then you will need an initrd
(which will contain a userspace mount, which can identify and boot from
the right filesystem).

> Uhhh, any help on this topic really appreciated. Maybe someone knows a
> tutorial on this topic (with kernel 2.6 and dm-crypt)?

At the moment, it might be easier to start from FC2.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Og just boggle how stupid spammer is. How stupid
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | spamhaus is. How stupid spamhaven is. Og thought