Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin jeremyconlin at mail.weber.edu
Tue Oct 19 13:52:14 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-19 09:07:13 -0400, "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com> said:

> There are a couple of things that could be a problem.
>
> 1. Make sure iptables is not blocking port 5901 (default port).  To do a
> quick test just disable iptables temporarily by running the command:
> service iptables stop
Stopping iptables using the command suggested allowed me to log in!
But the only window I had was a terminal window and it didn't look
anything like the desktop looks like.  Isn't this what VNC is supposed
to do is make it so I have the desktop remotely?

> If this works then you will need to configure iptables to let port 5901
> through.
I don't know how to let port 5901 through.  Can someone give me a
command I can use to start this?

> 2. vncserver is not running.  You need to make sure you have set a
> password for vnc. If you have not vncserver will not run.  There is a
> vncpasswd command.  You need to run that as the user you run vncserver
> as. It will create a directory and some files under you home account.
> (set this up under a regular user account not root, you can use su to
> get root permissions when needed)
I have run the vncserver command and initiated a password.

> 3. If using the vncviewer from windows make sure you append :1 to the IP
> address you use for the system you are connecting to.

Thanks,
Jeremy