Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin jeremyconlin at mail.weber.edu
Tue Oct 19 14:13:59 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-19 09:54:14 -0400, Volker Kindermann <ml at ps102.de> said:

>> [jlconlin at localhost .vnc]$ netstat -na | grep LISTEN
>> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5801            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
>> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5901            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
>> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
>

>> I don't understand all of this but it looks like it is listening on
>> port 5901 from the 4th line.
>> What next?
>
> ok, the above output shows that the server is really running and
> listening for incoming connections.
>
> Now you should be able to contact the machine like other have told you
> with the command:
>
> vncviewer <ip_of_server>:1
I have been using a 3rd parth client (Chicken of the VNC) to connect.
You will see in another message to this email (today)  list that I
successfully connected when I temporarily disabled the firewall.

> If this don't work, please test the functionality local on the linux
> machine by trying to connect to itself. Open a terminal window and type:
>
> vncviewer localhost:1
This is what I get when I run that command.  Apparantly it doesn't work.

[jlconlin at localhost jlconlin]$ vncviewer localhost:1

VNC viewer for X version 4.0 - built Aug 27 2004 09:46:58
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
vncviewer: unable to open display ""

Thanks,