system hung

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 15:50:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:05:14 -0600, Robin Laing
<robin.laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> Vano Beridze wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I run fedora 2
> > uname -r
> > 2.6.8-1.521
> >
> > My uptime was about 10 days and today while working normally
> > keyboard locked up. Mouse was working normally.
> > Keyboard actually died.
> > I tried Ctrl+Alt+Backspace,Ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+alt+f1,f2,f3,...
> > nothing helped.
> > The only way was to reboot.
> >
> > I inspected /var/log/messages. The interested string is this:
> >
> > Oct 19 12:24:29 iguana kernel: application mozilla-bin uses obsolete OSS
> > audio interface
> > Oct 19 12:24:29 iguana modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> > for sound_slot_1
> > Oct 19 12:48:47 iguana modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> > for sound_slot_1
> > Oct 19 12:56:03 iguana last message repeated 2 times
> > Oct 19 13:21:14 iguana kernel: input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on
> > isa0060/serio0
> >
> > These are the last messages just before reboot.
> >
> > I'm really disappointed. I'm  really surprised with such things.
> > One of the main things I prefer linux is the stability. No more blue
> > screens.
> > Actually that was the case before fedora. I've never seen such an
> > unpredictible behaviour in redhats 6.2,7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8.0,9.
> >
> > Sorry if I look like a whiner, but I just lost 2 hours of my work and
> > that makes me upset.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > P.S. It's just sad to realize that Fedora failed my expectations and
> > I'll switch to Gentoo.
> >

> As I have the odd (3 times in 6 months) lockup just like you describe
> it would be interesting to see if you have noticed any other weird
> problems.
>
> On my machine if I am playing a game, I will notice a routine stutter
> in the graphics.  I have just noticed this in the last few days.  I
> have also had my xmms just stop in mid tune for no apparent reason.
>
> I cannot trace this to any one thing but I have a feeling it has
> something to do with a cron job or some routine cleanup process that
> is occurring.
>
> I have no messages in any log and the computer continues to operate in
> the background.  The last time it occurred I was in the process of
> downloading some binaries off the Usenet and I left the computer
> running.  All the downloads continued.  My screen and keyboard were
> locked and only a reset would get me back to working.
>
> On losing work, most programs have an auto save feature that prevents
> most of this.  I got into a habit of doing this when I tried windows
> due to constant crashes.
>
> Remember Fedora is a development version of Linux.  I am still using
> FC1 and will upgrade to FC3 as FC2 came out just as I had finished
> getting FC1 just the way I liked it.
>
> --
> Robin Laing

> [...]

<whiney voice>
My experience is that Fedora is really out of hand.   A machine
hanging like that is really a deal breaker.  Fedora Toy 1 was boggy
enough, and now I am having all sorts of related problems with 2.  I
am in the same boat.  I guess I will start skipping distro #s and
going from 1 to 3.

One of the smartest reasons for running Linux in the first place, is
stability.  If we aren't going to have that anymore, I am going to go
back to Knoppix.Debian, or SuSE depending on my needs for a
distribution.  I know that Fedora isn't officially supported (I can
see why now), but it looks bad to be slamming out new distributions
and putting the old ones out to pasture so soon, if we aren't going to
be having some real rock solid stability.

<steps down off soapbox>

Marc