free space advice.

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Oct 19 17:06:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 06:01:29PM +0100, Colin J Thomson wrote:
> Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2              14        4868    38997787+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda3            4869        4998     1044225   82  Linux swap
> /dev/sda4            4999        9964    39889395   83  Linux
> NOTE I created sda4 (the free space)  just to get used to using some of the
> Disk Utils,
> This is an excact copy (less sda4) of what was on the 40gig drive, So are
> you saying I could use parted to resize sda2 if I deleted sda4?

You'll probably have to delete sda3 too (since it's in the middle), but
that's not a problem, since it's just swap and you can recreate it after
making the larger partition.

However, I have an alternate suggestion. It's useful to have /home on its
own partition, because that way, you can keep your user data isolated from
OS data. If you want to switch distributions, or just do an "upgrade" but
start from scratch to get a clean slate, you can then leave your /home
partition (and all of your user data) untouched, but completely wipe /. I do
this all the time, in fact.

(You still may want to change the sizes of things.)