xorg.conf vedio card question........

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Oct 20 06:00:19 UTC 2004

chunlee wrote:
> hi there:
>
> i am running FC2 on a toshiba laptop that has a Trident CyberBlade Ai1.
> the question is that, when i installed FC2, the Menu->System
> Settings->Display shows that i have "Trident CyberBlade (generic)". i
> then went into change it as "Trident CyberBlade Ai1" then log out. when
> i log back in, the Display->video card still shows up as "Trident
> CyberBlade (generic)" not Ai1.
>
> i then went to look at the xorg.conf. i have
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier  "Videocard0"
> 	Driver      "trident"
> 	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
> 	BoardName   "Trident CyberBlade/Ai1"
>
> what does this mean? does it mean i am using Ail already, just the
> "Display" not updating, or i don't have the Ai1 driver, so it still uses
> the generic option?

It means that videocard0 is using the "trident" driver.  VendorName and
BoardName are little more than comments for you to describe your actual
hardware and make sure that the you (or system-config-X11) configure the
screen stuff correctly for this hardware.  Does your first
"ServerLayout" section reference the correct Screen section, which then
references this device by name?  If so, then you've correctly configured
your videocard.

I don't know, I haven't read the trident documentation, but are you sure
that "CyberBlade(generic)" and "CyberBlase Ail" are different drivers or
just different names for the same driver that differentiates between the
two boards when the server starts up?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com