discount dell laptops -- the sordid *real* story

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Oct 20 07:45:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Senectus . wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:58:13 -0400 (EDT), Robert P. J. Day
> > <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > > anymore.  frankly, thinkpads are starting to look really appealing.
> >
> > Being a Thinkpad owner I can tell you that Fedora Core 3 T3 install
> > was flawless on my A31p.
> >
> > It picked up every device (including modem, burner and wireless) and
> > configured them all perfectly on its own.
> >
> > Its also worth noting that this model is certified by Suse...
>
> i've always known that thinkpads run linux well.

It was a hard choice for me between the Thinkpad and getting something
with an AMD64 chipset.

The AMD64 won.  I have an HP zv5000 with an AMD 3700+ processor.  The
Thinkpad would have cost me about $1000 more as well.

>  now if only they'd
> stop running those ads recommending windows xp, and stop putting those
> stupid "designed with crappy xp operating system in mind" stickers on
> their systems ... sigh.

My HP had one of those as well.  It now resides just above the flush
handle on my toilet.  (Thanks to Keith Lofstrom for the idea.)