How do I roll back X using apt-get?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Oct 20 13:37:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 07:35:38AM -0400, rab wrote:
> I installed the latest rpms for fc2 for X using apt-get and the
> dist-upgrade option. Now X crashes all the time (every 15 minutes or so
> on average). How can I get back to the previous version of X (or even
> fix X)?

I'm not sure if there's a trivial way to roll back a whole set of changes.
If someone who knows apt better than me knows one, cool.

So in the meantime, let's figure out why X is crashing. The updates have
worked fine for me, and I hadn't heard any complaints.

What video card do you have? Do you know what triggers the crash? (3D is a
likely culprit -- perhaps some of the OpenGL screensavers?) If you could
post the log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) from the crash, that'd be helpful.