xorg.conf vedio card question........

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Oct 20 18:30:01 UTC 2004

chun lee wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> Thanks for your reply. Please see below for my reply.
>
> The reason for this post is that I am trying to figure out why my dual head
> is not working. I have started another thread to describe the problems I
> have encountered. But I would still like to know more about xorg.conf stuff.

> I am still pretty new to this, from what I can tell, I think its correct.
> Below is what I have
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "single head configuration"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection

OK, Your single head Layout uses Screen0

> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "Screen0"
>     Device     "Videocard0"
>     Monitor    "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth     16
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Viewport   0 0
>         Depth     24
>         Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Viewport   0 0
>         Depth     8
>         Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Viewport   0 0
>         Depth     16
>         Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection

Your Screen0 uses Videocard0 and Monitor0.  So far so good.

> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier   "Monitor0"
>     VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>     ModelName    "Toshiba TOS5082"
>     DisplaySize  240    180
>     HorizSync    31.0 - 48.0
>     VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
>     Option        "dpms"
> EndSection

Your Monitor0 contains good info.

> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Videocard0"
>     Driver      "trident"
>     VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>     BoardName   "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"
> EndSection

An we've seen this before.

>>I don't know, I haven't read the trident documentation, but are you sure
>>that "CyberBlade(generic)" and "CyberBlase Ail" are different drivers or
>>just different names for the same driver that differentiates between the
>>two boards when the server starts up?
>
> Could you tell me where I can find the documentation?

To begin with, you should have the xorg-x11-doc RPM installed.  There's
lots of good information in there.  Also, historically, there is more
documentation that can be found in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards (which is a
symbolic link these days to a file provided by the hwconf RPM).  You
should have a look around the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 directory (and its
subdirectories) in any event for interesting files to read.

> Many thanks

Not a problem....

--
Kevin J. Cummings