run levels (priority) and chkconfig --add

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Wed Oct 20 19:05:17 UTC 2004

In order to add a service with chkconfig you need to add the two
commented lines for run level, priority and description like:

# chkconfig: 35 30 20

My question is, and I've read the man page on chkconfig, what are the
priorities, in this case 30 and 20.

Are they the order in which this service is started relative to all
services?  Or are they the process priority to be given when the process
is started or stopped?  I'm leaning toward the "order" relative to all
services but I just wanted to make sure.  If this is the case than all
services should have different numbers here???  Is the highest legal
number 99?

Regards

Doug p