cannot select from grub boot loader

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Oct 20 21:22:53 UTC 2004

Richard E Miles wrote:
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.521)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.521.img
> title Fedora Core (2.6.7-1.494.2.2)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.494.2.2 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.img
>
> I don't think any of this is out of date or strange. I wonder if i should do a
> grub-install? Do you think that some how grub got messed up? Like I said
> earlier it was working in the past. So I don't know why it's not working now.

Reinstalling grub should only be necessary as a last resort.  You are
not *supposed* to have to do anything after making changes to your
grub.conf text file (so long as you haven't changed the physical disk
drive its on).  I don't use a splashimage, you might want to try and
comment that out, and increase the timeout to something larger (like
30?) to give you enough time to look at the screen before it defaults to
the 1.521 kernel....

You also might try changing the default line to default=1 and see if it
boots the 1.494.2.2 kernel....  Is the 1.494.2.2 kernel still installed?

You might also want to consider removing the "rhgb quiet" options until
you get this sorted out....

Very strange indeed.  Having a kernel installed (or not) should have no
effect on Grub since is runs before any kernel gets loaded.

Come to think of it, if none of the above helps, perhaps you *should*
run grub-install again (and check for any errors).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net