Network Load Sharing

Ben Halicki ben.halicki at macquarietextiles.com.au
Thu Oct 21 03:10:50 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm looking at setting up load sharing on a server using two NIC's,
just wondering if anyone has any experience in this area?

The two common methods seem to be using TEQL or Bonding.  Which one
would be the better method, or more common of the two?

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

Hi Ben -

Have a look at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-
 Manual/ref-guide/s1-modules-ethernet.html and
 http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/ref-
 guide/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html#S2-NETWORKSCRIPTS-INTERFACES-
 CHAN for some good setup information.  I've set up bonding a number of
 times and been very impressed with the performance.

 I used a mode which isn't discussed in the two URL's above but is
 discussed in the kernel source - balance-alb or 6.  Read the docs in the
 kernel source under Documentation/networking/bonding.txt.  Mode 6 really
 offers the best of all worlds - no special switch configuration is
 required and it balances transmit and receive traffic pretty much
 transparently.

 My luck has been good with bonding.  I am afraid I have not done TEQL so
 I can't speak to it.

 Cheers,
 Thomas

Thanks for that info Thomas, I'll give it a go.

Regards,

Ben