Cyrus-Imap help needed

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Thu Oct 21 05:59:09 UTC 2004

Hi Yang,

You had Cyrus already running on RH9? Strong part isn't it? Here some hints. I personally find cyrus on FC2 a kind of
easy to install, where are the times, where you had to compile this yourself (i better do not remember those days i
passed with installation & configuration)

If you would like something easier, really try dovecot. But since you are already running cyrus, try this first:

-> in /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd is a line 'MECH=' - set this to 'MECH=pam'
-> your imapd.conf seems right to me (it's the shipped default, isn't it? ;-) )
-> is saslauthd running? if no do: '/sbin/service/saslauthd restart' as you authenticate plain against linux-accounts.
-> restart cyrus-imapd
-> don't use the root-account for tests....
-> create a linux-user and in cyradm create the appropriate mailbox - otherwise you can login but there is no mailbox.
-> test either with imtest or use 'telnet localhost imap'. if you get reply from cyrus (you will get, i am shure, just
type 'a01 login username "password"' - the "" around the password are needed. cyrus will either display an error or
something like 'a01 login ok'.

HTH, let me know if its working or not....
Roger