rpm newbie

Ben Anderson benanderson.us at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:10:18 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I have been using Gentoo for about 2 years now.  Overall, I've been
pleased, but am sick of compiling everything.  I am also sick of
having to configure everything manually.  Anyways, I think I want to
give Fedora a try just because of it's wide user base.  I've been
searching around the last few weeks trying to do research on rpm,
apt-get, or whatever else I'll need to know about.  I'm not trying to
start a flame war or anything (seems like most of the internet links I
found were), but how will I be updating packages on fedora?  I think I
have my choice between rpm or apt-get?  Is one preferred?  If there
are articles or other documentation that you know of, feel free to
answer with a link instead of telling me something I could read
elsewhere.  Fedora's site has hardly any documentation on it.  Another
goal of mine (besides having an easily usable, updateable linux
installation) is to become familiar with skills that might be
transferable to red hat's server edition.  I may be purchasing a
server soon, and would like to be able to configure it myself w/out
needing needing to hire a sysadmin.

As a side note - is Fedora's installer able to resize an NTFS
partition, or should I attempt that before installation?

Thanks,
Ben Anderson