rpm newbie

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Oct 21 12:42:47 UTC 2004

On 10/21/2004 05:10:18 AM, Ben Anderson wrote:
> I'm not trying to
> start a flame war or anything (seems like most of the internet links
> found were), but how will I be updating packages on fedora?  I think
> have my choice between rpm or apt-get?  Is one preferred?

rpm is the fedora package manager.
apt-get and yum are two different front ends to rpm that work with
package repositories so that when you request package A the depends
upon package B, it will get both for you.

Which is one better?
I prefer yum - it was designed with rpm in mind. apt-get was designed
with Debians packaging system in mind and was ported to work with
rpm's.

Fedora comes with yum.
I recommend adding the Fedora Extras repository (use Fedora Stable) and
the three livna.org repositories (use stable, testing, development)

http://fedora.us/
http://rpm.livna.org/

I've attached my personal FC2 yum.conf file, but those websites above
will have instructions for using either yum or apt-get with them.

>  If there
> are articles or other documentation that you know of, feel free to
> answer with a link instead of telling me something I could read
> elsewhere.

I'm actually working on writing a short one, but I'm waiting for FC3 to
go gold since it uses a different (better imho) config files, where you
can add a repository by just putting a file into a directory and not
have to edit the main yum.conf file.

But if you google for yum you should find plenty of them.