I've had enough

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Oct 21 14:15:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 14:50, Frank Pineau wrote:

> FWIW, I prefer to bottom-post.  I've been trying to get the Evolution
> developers to at least make an option for top or bottom-posting instead
> of dropping the cursor at the beginning of the "On Thursday..." line in
> replies.  I mean, most modern mailers can tell what text is quoted and
> what text is your auto-added sig.  It's really a pain to have to keep
> juggling the cursor around just to post a reply.  At least in Ev, it's
> frequently *much* easier and faster to simply hit "Reply | Enter (for
> LF) | Up-arrow" then start typing your message.

But Evolution's behaviour as is encourages best practise for both
posting methods: in Corporate environments where top-posting is the norm
the quoted text is never normally cropped; on mailing lists where
bottom-posting is the norm the responder is also encouraged to edit out
all but the relevant parts of the quoted text, interspersing the reply
with the quoted text. Evolution, by placing the cursor at the top of the
quoted text, encourages you to go through that text, editing out what
isn't relevant to your response, and placing your responses directly
beneath the bits you are replying to. I personally hope the Evolution
developers do not choose to change this (and having been on the
Evolution mailing list for years I am fairly certain they won't).

Best, Darren