Secure Email While traveling

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Thu Oct 21 17:25:30 UTC 2004

John Garmany wrote:
> I am looking at ways to both send and retrieve email while traveling.
> Since I use hotel internet connections and public wireless connection, I
> am looking at a way to secure the connection.  My traveling laptop is
> windows.
>
> My idea is this.
>
> 1.  Connect using ssh to the Linux server with a couple of tunnels from
> local ports to the mail ports. (25 Sendmail, 143 IMAP, 110 POP3)
> 2.  Point my email programs (Outlook for work, Thunderbird for
> personnel) to the local ports connected to the tunnel
> 3.  Send and recieve mail.

I used to be doing that all the time - works beautifully.

> Has anyone else tried this?  Am I missing something.  Is there an easier
> way.

You might want to consider using TLS/SSL for IMAP. That's more work to
set up on the server, and less work to use on the client. I use IMAP
with TLS/SSL, and a "nearby" SMTP server (the server of the
university/work/ISP, etc. depending on location) and I find it very
convenient. I use webmail over HTTPS if I have to read my mail on a
public computer, and ssh and putty on slow connections

> When I travel I open the mail ports throught the firewall and they get
> hit pretty hard.  Average about 50 failed attempts a day at logging on
> as different users  (nobody, guest, etc).  This way I would only need to
> open the ssh port.

Well, that is a good point, which makes your solution somewhat less
vulnerability prone than mine.

Anyway, the choice is yours :)

Regards,

//Andro