Problem with RHBG (partially solved)

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 21 17:33:49 UTC 2004

Hajo and the list:

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 00:17, James Mckenzie wrote:
> All:
>
> While I was googling for a solution to the problem with moving /usr/lib to /opt/lib, I came across an article on the (GASP!) debian mailing list that states that rhbg has hard-coding for particular library files to be in a particular location.  Thus, I will have to 'leave' some files in /usr/lib if I want to continue to use this program.  Oh well, I can live with 5-10 MB of files in this directory.
> I think that the remaining problems that I had will be solved with adding some code to the profile file in /etc to add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to all sessions.
I do remember this question from one of the off-topics recently ;) I'm
not in a state where I'm supposed to answer such a question, however let
me still try though:

strings /usr/bin/rhgb | grep -i lib

suggests that only ld-linux.so.2 is hard-coded to /lib/.

Also,

ldd /usr/bin/rhgb

seems to indicate that only /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is hard-coded. I didn't
bother to recursively check whether any of the pulled-in libs is
expecting a hard-coded path, but I'd be surprised if so.

The only thing I'm wondering now is that whether at the time rhgb is
initiated, how a proper LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be set (already)...

Not really the answer, but I hope some food for thought at least. Why
don't you prepare a (tested) rescue CD and simply mv your libs over and
see whether you can boot? Just put your /opt/lib into /etc/ld.so.conf
before you reboot...

I'm wondering though why you want to go through all this pain -- at the
end, all installations will be non-standard from that point on. You'll
have to munge every ./configure and every rpm -U manually! If disk space
is your problem, maybe a link might be the easier solution?

> Also, this might not be the best forum to post this in, and I will look into the other Fedora forums.
Coming from RH9, I encountered rhgb the first time when I met FC1, so I
assume the forum is quite right...

Hmm. This is not the what I read in the article, but then again it was a different list.  I will add the capability in the profile file in /etc to build a LD_LIBRARY_PATH dynamically like it already builds a PATH statement.  That way I can add/subtract directories as needed.  This may solve problems with gnome-session which was causing panel to not find applets and graphics files.  I think that the ld.so.cache file is not read by gnome-session, which included all of the required library files.  I will know this evening when I restart my system.

James McKenzie