problems with later added DDS-2 tape-unit

Edwin Dicker fedora at dicker.nl
Thu Oct 21 18:54:44 UTC 2004

>>Hello there!
>>>
>>> I have added a DDS-2 tape-unit on an already installed FC2 system
>>> (running 2.6.6-1.435 kernel). Although the st mod shows up in lsmod, the
>>> tape-unit sometimes just 'disappeares' when I try to use it, with for
>>> example tar.
>>
>>Is there any chance it is a hardware issue?
>>
> Nope, I doubt that very much. Because it has worked. It's a HP unit on a
> Adaptec 2940 UW controler, so I don't see a problem there either. I use a
> DLT on FC2 on the same type controler at home on one box, and two DDS-3 on
> also the same controler (also FC2) on another box. But these were already
> in the machine when I installed FC2.
>
> Thanks for any help, Angelo

As systemengineer I have many many problems with dds1-2-3 tapedrives, most
of them are read/write errors but some of them have also the same symptoms
as you describe. They seem to dissappear. The only options is to replace the
drive.
If it is a new installed drive then please check you termination and you
cable ( damage).
Do you have more scsi devices on the bus ?? are you sure that the bus is
only terminated at the controller end and the on the last device ??
The 2940 bios can be set to auto-termination on the controller, perhaps you
need to alter this setting.

HTH
Edwin