running a mirror server.

dale dalen at czexan.net
Thu Oct 21 21:21:46 UTC 2004

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> If you are going to run a mirror to be used locally on our campus does
> rsyncd need to be running and take part in the ability of the server
> to distribute files through the web interface?
>
> Because I noticed that although the rsync rpm has a rsync file and a
> rsyncd.conf man page it does not contain a rsyncd file or a
> rsyncd.conf file. So if these latter files are needed where does one
> get them?
I presume you want to create a local mirror of FC2/updates/etc... and
keep it up to date via a daily rsync script and have your campus FC2
boxes point to your mirror for updates.  If this is what you want, then
you do not need an /etc/rcyncd.conf file.  Below is my rsync script and
other config items for this.

#---begin script---
#!/bin/sh
LOCKFILE="/tmp/rsync-fedora.us.lock"
if [ -f $LOCKFILE ]; then
         echo "rsync-fedora.us.lock exists, aborting..."
         exit 1
fi
touch $LOCKFILE
rsync --delete -Pav mirrors.kernel.org::fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/
/mirror/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/
rm -f $LOCKFILE
#---end script---

Then create a symlink in your doc root pointing to your mirror
cd /var/www/html
ln -s /mirror/fedora.us/ fedora.us

Then modify the repository section of the yum.conf file on your clients
(changing server name as appropriate)

[fedora-us-2]
name=Fedora Core 2 -- Fedora US mirror
baseurl=http://mirror-server.trinity.edu/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/i386/RPMS.os/

[fedora-us-2-updates]
name=Fedora Core 2 updates -- Fedora US mirror
baseurl=http://mirror-server.trinity.edu/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/i386/RPMS.updates/

[fedora-us-2-stable]
name=Fedora Linux (stable) for Fedora Core 2 -- Fedora US mirror
baseurl=http://mirror-server.trinity.edu/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/i386/RPMS.stable/