running a mirror server.

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Oct 21 21:33:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 15:43 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> If you are going to run a mirror to be used locally on our campus does
> rsyncd need to be running and take part in the ability of the server
> to distribute files through the web interface?

Generally speaking, you do not. Most mirror servers use rsync to *get*
the files and keep the mirror up-to-date. However, they then *serve* the
files out to their community via HTTP, FTP, and/or other mechanisms
(including apt-get, yum, NFS, or rsync).

You are welcome to serve those files to your community by any means you
choose; you do not need to use rsync to serve the files.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>