Remote connection to MySQL server...?

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 21 23:37:44 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Mi, den 20.10.2004 schrieb Christopher J. Bottaro um 18:08:
>
>> Port 3306 is open and /etc/my.cnf has a line "port = 3306" in the
>> [mysqld]
>> section.  Yes, I've read the mysql manual and I *think* I've setup my
>> user
>> to be able to connect from the remote host.  Here is the relevant portion
>> of my mysql.user table:
>>
>> +-------------+---------+------------------+
>> | Host        | User    | Password         |
>> +-------------+---------+------------------+
>> | aa.bb.cc.dd | pymymud | (hashed passwd)  |
>> +-------------+---------+------------------+
>>
>> Then from aa.bb.cc.dd, I try to connect:
>>
>> mysql -u pymymud -p -h <ipaddr of mysql server> -P 3306 pymymud
>> ERROR 1130: Host 'aa.bb.cc.dd' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL
>> server
>
> Yes, the reply by the MySQL server indicates that a connection did
> happen and that the attempt was rejected by the MySQL server. Did you
> really create the user using "GRANT" or "INSERT"? To be sure the new
> permissions are read in run "FLUSH PRIVILEGES;" as root on the mysql
> command line.

Hey that worked!  Thanks very much.

This is going off topic now, but how can I copy database X from host A to
host B.  To be more clear, I installed MySQL on machine A and I've created
a database with a bunch of tables, etc.  Now I want to copy that database
to machine B (which also has MySQL installed on it).

Thanks for the help.