insmod problem

Linn Kubler lkubler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 00:18:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:29:49 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> Am Fr, den 22.10.2004 schrieb Linn Kubler um 0:23:
>
> > I setup FC2 on an old Dell Dimention computer I had laying around and
> > am reading through a book on Linux.  I'm trying to setup iptables and
> > the book had me create my own rules script which I did, problem is
> > when I exicute the script I get these errors...
> >
> > insmod: can't read 'ip_conntrack_ftp' : No such file or directory
> > insmod: can't read 'ipt_LOG' : No such file or directory
> > insmod: can't read 'ipt_REJECT' : No such file or directory
> > insmod: can't read 'ipt_limit' : No such file or directory
> > insmod: can't read 'ipt_state' : No such file or directory
> >
> > The script of course has:
> > insmod ip_conntrack_ftp
> > insmod ipt_LOG
> > insmod ipt_REJECT
> > insmod ipt_limit
> > insmod ipt_state
>
> Use modprobe as it takes care for module dependencies.
>
> > I've searched for these modules with no luck.  Beyond this it seems to
> > be working, can anyone help me correct these problems?
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/
>
> The modules are there. If they are missing you either have no FC2 kernel
> but a custom one which lacks iptables support compiled in or you broke
> your system.
>
> > Linn
>
> Alexander

Hmm... well, this is a fresh install from CD's I downloaded from Red
Hat so I wouldn't expect the kernel to be modded.  Now, the default
up2date config excludes the kernel from updating and I'm running
2.6.5-1.358, I suppose I should let up2date update the kernel as well.

Ok, my mistake, I checked
/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ and the files are
there but they all have .ko on the end of the file names, I assume
that's normal.  And upon further review of modprobe -l I can see that
these modules are already loaded as Michael suggests.  So maybe I
don't need them at all in my script.

Thanks,
Linn