ASUS P5A-B AMD-K6-2/500 FC2 install problems

Tim Bradshaw dragon8856 at cox.net
Fri Oct 22 05:43:47 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Rick Lim wrote:
>
>>I have a ASUS P5A-B AMD-K6-2/500 which I have installed FC2 with a non
>>Xwindows install and it works ok, when I try a FC2 install with Xwindows
>>about ¾ thru the install it suddenly reboots.
>

> <snip>
>
>>Is there a work around?
>

> How much memory do you have? How much swap? There's a chance that you're
> running out of memory.
>
> What sort of network connection do you have? Try installing a minimal
> FC2, then getting yum to install X, Gnome, and whatever else you want.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

The last computer I worked on that had this problem was due to having
the SDR memory voltage, normally 3.0V, pinned out on the motherboard to
the DDR memory voltage, 2.5V. After I checked te complete set of pin
outs, I discovered the error, the user was playing repair man, corrected
it and FC2 installed as smooth as a baby's bottom.
Check out the fundamentals on the motherboard to be sure they are set
correctly. Usually, hangups during isntallation of an operating system,
even blendoze, indicated a memory or voltage problem. Hope this helps.

Tim

--
ÐÏࡱá