Drive not showing up in "Computer" - Beginner

Micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Fri Oct 22 06:01:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 00:49, Bradley (FC2 List) wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 00:34, Bradley (FC2 List) wrote:
> > > I have a 6 gig IDE drive, secondary master that I would like to use to
> share
> > > files across OSs. It does not show up in the "Computer" group with
> > > filesystem and CD drives. Do I need to edit something to make this show
> up?
> > > The file system is fat32. I am using FC2 and Gnome.
> >
> > Could you post your /etc/fstab file? This is what controls what drives
> > get "mounted" to what file system
> >
> > Thanks
> > MC
>
> Thanks for the reply:
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> 0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> 0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> 0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Thanks Bradley

Well the drive is not showing up in fstab, so it is not getting mounted,
hence it showing up in Computer.

First click on the "Red Hat" then system tools then hardware browser.
Type in your root password. Let it find your hardware, and then click on
hard drives. Make sure the 6 GB drive is showing up there. If it is
great move on. If not, then it is not being detected,  boot into the
bios and make sure it is detected there. If not check the jumper
settings on the drive. If it is then check /var/log/messages for any
errors

If the drive shows up in the Hardware Browser, which I think it will,
then you just have to edit /etc/fstab to have it mounted on boot.  Note
the name of the drive that is 6GB it should be /dev/hdb or something
similar.

Add this line to the bottom of the file.
/dev/mydrive(hdb1 or 2 or whatever)            /mnt/share
vfat    user,showexec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1  0 0

Make sure that you have a /mnt/share directory. It does not have to be
expicitly named share, anything will work so long as the file matches
the directory.

to mount the drive as root type mount --all

Let me know if this helps

MC