modem and other problems on installing FC2

ashwin kesavan iyengar ashwin.chn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:33:20 UTC 2004

Hi,
    I am new to list. I just recently installed FC2 on my RHL9 m/c.
The exact method i did the installation as follows:
1) I tried upgrading, but it reported that my "/" partition is 27MB
less to do an upgrade. Though  my "/" partiton was 92xxMB with 82%
free.
2) Then i tried a new install. When when installer(i think it was
anaconda) asked whether upgrade or fresh install(i think it was the
2nd page of the install). I choose fresh install.Everything went off
well with the installation.Atleast it appeared that way. During my
first boot up(after the user account creation) kudzu reported that
modem was missing. I choose remove configuration, thinking the next
time i boot up kudzu would detect the modem. But it didn't. Now i am
not able to connect to the internet from my m/c.
3) The installation i made was custom installation. I installed almost
everything else except the servers(mail server, news server, etc). But
during boot-up the mail server sendmail starts-up. Sendmail was
present in my previous OS(redhat 9). So i suspect that instead of a
fresh install what FC2 did was upgraded the packages. Am i correct?
But if it was an upgrade why did it ask to choose the packages to
install(the custom install option). Can anyone help me as to what is
the problem.

I tried adding the modem using "network configuration". It said a the
modem type as generic modem. But when i choose to activate it exits
with "error 2". I don't here any dialing sound.

The partitioning option i choose during install was automatic.
My HDD is 10.1GB(Seagate), Pentium III (katami) processor, Rockwell
56Kbps external modem