ClamAV Feedback was (RE: Sendmail Milter Question)

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Oct 22 20:28:21 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 22.10.2004 schrieb Yang Xiao um 22:03:

> Is anyone using ClamAV in a production environment? How does it stack
> up against the commecial Anti-Virus programs such as symantec etc... I
> want to setup and spam filter with vuirus scan on FC2, but have some
> reservations on using a free software antivirus product because I have
> no idea whether their virus defnitions are good and up to date.

> Yang

The definition updates are a bit slower than from the big anti-virus
program companies like NAI or Symantec. but not all commercial
anti-virus solutions rule above ClamAV. I remember a very good test in a
German computer magazine (c't) about that topic. Recognition rates for
the various worms and types of viruses vary and the time definition
updates take.
You can combine ClamAV with a commercial product. For instance speaking
about anti-virus protection on a mail server you can easily do with a
milter like MimeDefang which supports a lot of products.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 22:14:59 up 2 days, 18:54, load average: 2.33, 1.66, 1.47