How reliable are glxgears statistics? My FPS increased from 650 to 1100 by using Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" in xorg.conf!!!

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 22 21:23:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 12:05:54PM +0100, VJ wrote:

> 	1100 by using Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" in xorg.conf!!!
>
> Hi,
>     I used to get 650FPS with glxgears before I added this option
>     (at the > end ofthis mail ) to my xorg.conf. Now I get
>     1100FPS. Is it true that this > option increased the FPS of my
>     card? I am using "ATI Rage 128 Pro" as video > card. Is glxgears
>     reliable for such tests?
> Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"

glxgears is consistant in what it measures, so yes.

When page flipping semantics fit the speedup can be dramatic.
It all depends on what the SW and hardware (mostly DMA) are doing.

What you do have to be cautious about this is apples and oranges the
list of features in GL is long ( glxinfo).  You might compare the
results of glinfo for the two cases.  It is possible that the PageFlip
switch changes some functionality that matters to glxgears.

For what it is worth I only see a glxgears speedup when I place a
terminal window on top of glxgears but my nvidia card is a lesser and
different model.  If you are getting 1100 from the OS nv driver, life
is good.  The nv driver and mesa libs keep getting better and
better....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy