can I sell fedora?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Oct 24 11:10:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 10:52, Paul wrote:
> > This compensation is ment primarily for MS Windows, but I am going to install
> > FC3 on my new PC. So I want to know is it legal for some company to sell Fedora
> > to me for the price it wants? Can this price be as big as $100? So the amount
> > of maney that usualy goes to MS will go to me :)
>
> Send me your address off list and I'll do a CD or DVD of it for you,
> find the postage from UK to US and bung it over. You can pay me via
> paypal or something like that. I doubt it will be anything more than $5
> though.

I think maybe people are misunderstanding what the OP is trying to do.
My interpretation is that his government has some sort of grant or tax
refund scheme running to encourage people to buy legal copies of their
OS, so maybe the government will pay back a percentage of the costs. So
he effectively wants to sell the OS to himself or his company for as
high a price as possible (maybe the same price as Windows goes for,
which may be the upper limit that the government will pay) in order to
get the maximum amount of grant/tax refund back from the government.

Whether or not this constitutes fraud would probably depend on the
conditions attached to the grant/tax rebate scheme, and whether or not
the purchaser is expected to exercise due diligence in finding the OS at
a reasonable price.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>