Can I sell fedora?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 24 18:33:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 11:58, Erik Hemdal wrote:

> As I understand the GPL, the answer is no.  One can't sell GPL software
> for whatever one wants, one can only recover the cost of distributing
> media, etc.  You can argue that it costs $100 to burn a CD in your
> country (maybe your ISP charges by the mile and electricity is very
> expensive) but it seems dubious from here.  Your (the OP) own messages
> indicate that you know a $100 price is inflated.

Actually the GPL says the following:

"You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee."

It does not say how much of a fee you can charge for the act of
transferring a copy.

IANAL (as so many on this list have already said), it appears you can
charge what ever you like to transfer a copy to someone.  However, the
scheme you are cooking up does appear to trip the scam meter.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.