Can I sell fedora?

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 24 20:12:44 UTC 2004

"Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

 >On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 11:58, Erik Hemdal wrote:

 >> As I understand the GPL, the answer is no.  One can't sell GPL
 >> software for whatever one wants, one can only recover the cost of
 >> distributing media, etc.  You can argue that it costs $100 to burn
 >> a CD in your country (maybe your ISP charges by the mile and
 >> electricity is very expensive) but it seems dubious from here.
 >> Your (the OP) own messages indicate that you know a $100 price is
 >> inflated.

(had to fix indentation here, so may have introduced spelling mistakes)

 >Actually the GPL says the following:

 >"You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
 >you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a >fee."

 >It does not say how much of a fee you can charge for the act of
 >transferring a copy.

 >IANAL (as so many on this list have already said), it appears you can
 >charge what ever you like to transfer a copy to someone.  However, the
 >scheme you are cooking up does appear to trip the scam meter.

I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet, but
/usr/share/doc/fedora-logos-1.1.24/COPYING
should also be considered.  Again it allows distribution within certain
restrictions, which distributing unaltered FC2 (for any price) fulfills.
As I understand it, it is control of trademarks that means I can't
simply buy RHE and sell copies cheap to friends, and this is the reason
WhiteBox linux and others like it exist, however the only restriction on
Fedora in this respect is that you don't mess with the RH trademarks.

Anyone wanting to read the GPL as it applies to FC2 might want to check
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-2/GPL  The difference between the GPL and
proprietary software licenses is that it is beautifully short.

Finally, as to the OP's question and as pretty much everyone else has
said, this is a question for a lawyer versed in your local laws.
While _very_ short sighted laws directed towards MS products could
contain loopholes, one feels they would get fixed pretty quickly.

--
imalone