Problem with Add or Remove Packages - Beginner

Bradley (FC2 List) FedoraList at Thingbuilder.com
Mon Oct 25 01:53:43 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "James McKenzie" <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: Problem with Add or Remove Packages - Beginner

> Bradley:
>
> Try this first:
>
> rpm -qa | grep <package_name>
>
> If you get no response, then you have to use yum in install mode.
>
> Example:
> # rpm -qa | grep cyrus-sasl
> #
> (cyrus-sasl was not found)
> # yum install cyrus-sasl
> .... yum responses and successful installation of cyrus-sasl
> #
>
> What are you development packages trying to install that requires these
> packages?
>
> James McKenzie
>
> Bradley (FC2 List) wrote:
>
> >I am trying to install Development Tools from "Add or Remove Packages"
> >
> >I get an error that I am missing cyrus-sasl, libuser, and xorg-x11-libs
and
> >will not continue.
> >
> >When I try to install with YUM, it tells me that all packages are
installed
> >and
> >up to date. Where do I go from here?
> >
> >Thanks for a great list.
James, thanks for the reply. I fixed the problem by using "make uninstall"
on the 2 programs that I had installed using  targz files. I didn't realize
that yum (rpm?) didn't see the installations. I believe I had double
installations. I then used the advice from this list and searched out all
the files in rpms. I let the rpm and then yum figure out the rest. I am new
to this and every step is a big one, configuring files to reach yum
repositories, just finding files that are installed can be confusing for an
old windows user.
  I was trying to install desklets (and succeded). It was a good excercise.
I have a LONG way to go but am very happy with the setup I have so far.

Thanks again,