How are fedora kernels modified from vanilla kernels

Brian Mury b.mury at ieee.org
Mon Oct 25 02:36:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-24-10 at 20:57 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> But one short answer is: there's a new development model with the 2.6 series
> of kernels, and an important part of that model is that distribution kernel
> branches are the "actually stable", and the official 2.6 releases subject to
> surprising changes. (The kernel developers point out that this is less a
> change and more a reflection of the way it's been in reality anyway.)

Thanks for the info, Matthew.

I don't run the standard Fedora kernels because I use Win4Lin. I build
my own because the Netraverse-supplied Win4Lin-enabled kernels leave out
stuff I need, but either way it's a generic kernel.org kernel.

I understand some distros have Win4Lin support included in their
kernels. Might be nice if Fedora did this...